Monday, October 11, 2010

A Snowy Week

        By: Maddie Keast and Jess Schaben


What comes to your mind when I say A Snowy Week? Many of you probably think of a week full of snow, or a bunch of little kids throwing snow balls. But when you ask people in Harlan, Iowa what they think they think of a book, written and illustrated by Ellen Frances Keast. Many of you are thinking wow what’s so great about writing a book people do it all the time, but this Author/Illustrator is only 11 years old! She wrote this amazing book when she was only 7 years old! It took her a good three years to find an agent and then a good year till it was finally published!


        Ellen is also writing two more books in her series! A Rainy Week and A Sunny Week. A very reliable source told me that they will contain the same characters from the first book! Right now Ellen is currently working on her second book!






               We had a chance to sit down with the Author and ask her a few questions!






Middle School News: What inspired you to write a book at the age of 7?


Ellen: I was frustrated with the weather at the time. It was spring and we were still getting snow, and I hate the snow. I was ready for the warm weather. So I sat down and did what I love to do. Write.






Middle School News: Can you tell us a little about your book?


Ellen: Its about a girl who has a dream and she wakes up and it comes true. Its for children who are just beginning to read.






Middle School News: We have heard you are coming out with two more books! Can you tell us a little bit about these books?


Ellen: The next book is called A Rainy Week, and the one after that is A Sunny Week. A Rainy Week is about when we go to Okoboji Iowa and it rains. The book is about going to the lake and not being able to do all the fun stuff you had planned on because it’s raining. A Sunny Week is about a trip to Hawaii. I like to write about things that I know and my life experiences.






Middle School News: What are some of the steps you had to go through to get your book published?


Ellen: Getting an agent was the first step and I had several. Then the agent goes to work to find a publisher. We had to get a lot of “no’s” before we found the right publisher. Then the publishing process begins. We have editing and after the book was edited I drew the illustrations. From the time I received notice that I had a publisher to the time I received the first copy of the book took about 6 months.






Middle School News:   Describe the process of how you get a book published.

Ellen:    Editing, text blocking, first revision, 2nd revision, final copy. Back cover, front cover, press releases. These are the steps that the publisher took us through. Everything was done via the internet. There was a project coordinator and they corresponded with my Mom (my project coordinator). We are also working with the publisher to get my work overseas. That would mean getting my book(s) translated into other languages such as Chinese, German, or French.






Middle School News: Where can people get or buy your book?


Ellen: My book is available in Harlan at Keast Ford, The Flower Barn,, Odds & Ends, The Fourth Generation, and the Coffee Plant. You can also purchase a copy of my book on line at www.strategicpublishinggroup.com/title/ASnowyWeek.html or through Amazon. Look for A Rainy Week to be out around the holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment